Peach Jelly Roll Cake

5:46 PM

This was my first attempt at making a jelly roll and I was not really feeling confident because the last time I tried a sponge cake, it deflated. Oh heartbreak. But that was partly because I didn't have a complete recipe to follow. My manager makes fabulous cakes and she roughly gave me the recipe. I figured I was actually making a sponge cake after researching what cake does not use butter.

It's kind of the same right now.. I don't know which recipe to follow because everything I looked at were all different. On top of that, I also only had medium sized eggs. So, it means I once again do not have a complete recipe. I tweaked here and there to get this one done. I guess this is how you learn.


It's not as pretty as I'd like it to be but it looks like a jelly roll.. diba?

In the end, it was a success. Jake liked it. I liked it. Next time I make this, I'll use only 4 egg yolks, actual cake flour minus the baking powder... we'll see.

Egg yolks. Sugar.

Adding sugar. I love my new stainless measuring cups.

Sifting.

This does NOT look like batter at all. I started worrying.

Whip the whites. Added to the crumbly "batter" and it started to look better. Whew!

Now this is batter!

Bake in the oven, sprinkle some powder love.

Roll that cake!

Ahh, too many pics. Here's a video for the rest of it.



Peach Jelly Roll


For the cake:
  • 6 medium egg whites
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 5 medium egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, divided (optional)

Directions
  1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
  2. Sift flour and salt; set aside.
  3. Coat a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; line with waxed paper and coat the paper with nonstick cooking spray.
  4. In a mixing bowl, beat yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored.
  5. Add sifted flour mixture; mix well (batter will be thick).
  6. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
  7. Spread into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 16 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center.
  8. Let stand for about a minute then dust with powdered sugar.
  9. Place a towel over the pan and turn. Cake should drop out.
  10. Gently peel off waxed paper. Dust again with powdered sugar.
  11. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side.
  12. Cool completely on a wire rack.
  13. Unroll cake; spread desired filling evenly over cake. Roll up again.
  14. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Sprinkle with remaining confectioners' sugar. 

For the filling:
  • 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (but I totally forgot to add this)
  • 1 peach, peeled and minced

Combine everything except the peach. Whip until stiff peaks form. Add peach bits. Whip again to incorporate the flavor. (YUMMY!)

You Might Also Like

0 Commented

Please let me know if you are following me on bloglovin or GFC so I can follow back. Thank you for commenting!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images